Monday, October 20, 2008

Live from New York!! It's KP!






Here it comes……….an update from across the continent. I know you’re all so excited you can hardly contain yourselves. Well, let’s start with a few pieces of excitement from this weekend. On Friday night we had the sisters over for a discussion with Michael Blamo. Michael is a fabulous 22 year-old young man who I met at church and who has been taking the discussions. We’ve been doing most of the discussions at my house. Friday was his last discussion before his baptism on Saturday. Things went really well and he had asked me to baptize him and confirm him a member of the church. What an awesome experience that was!

Saturday morning I went to Brooklyn to help out with a service project called NYC Cares. It was really neat, we painted a mural on the side of a school. I’ve attached a picture for your viewing enjoyment. Anyway, after the painting, I headed back to Manhattan for the baptism. It was wonderful. Michael’s mother came and really enjoyed herself. She also came to church the following day for his confirmation. The sisters have an appointment to meet with her this week. Michael was so happy and so was I.

On Sunday, I had the opportunity to confirm Michael a member of the church. I just realized that that was the first time I’ve done that in English, at least for a living person. It was a fabulous Sunday and the ward was very supportive. So many people congratulated him and said hello. He was walking on cloud 9. I also received a calling on Sunday. I’ve been called to serve as a ……….. wait for it ……….. wait for it ……….. oh I wish it was a Sunday School teacher. Turns out I’m going to be a Ward Missionary. Which is fine. It won’t really entail a great change in my behavior since I’ve already been quite involved in the missionary efforts here in the ward, but it will be nice to feel like I’m fulfilling a calling as well as fulfilling part of the threefold mission of the church.

Anyway, life is good here in the big city. I’m keeping pretty busy between work, going to the gym, helping the missionaries, volunteering in Harlem as a tutor, playing soccer and basketball, and talking to Emily on the phone. Well, speaking of Emily, she was out here last week. Many of you probably heard the news, but in case you haven’t, she accepted a job with State Farm Insurance and she’ll be moving out here on a date yet TBD. It will probably be in December or January. We have Vance to thank for her job. She’ll be working in a position that supports all of the State Farm agents in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn. Her boss reports directly to Vance and Vance was the man that made it all happen. I owe him big time. We’ll see what happens when she gets out here. It has been a really tough decision for her to make this move, but she did it, and I’m glad she did.

Well, I think I’ll close things out for today. I think you’ve all had enough to read for a spell. I’ll attach some pics for your enjoyment.

-KP

No comments: