Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm alive!


These kids were a blast. We made fast friends, even though their English was about as fluid as my Cebuano. Virtually non-existant.


I know, it'll be tough to see, but look real close at the guy up top with a green shirt and khaki pants. That would be your son/brother/grandson. Those Provo trees taught me a lot.
On the rainy streets of Dumaguete.



This is Kyle

Family, don't you go worrying your little heads off. I made it through Typhoon Fengshen. If you've been watching the news (which I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa Marler have), there has been a major Typhoon that made landfall a few days ago here in the Philippines. Back home, the newspeople call these things Hurricanes. I'm not sure why the different naming, but from what I gather, they're the same thing. Anyway, on Thursday I was in a place called Cadiz and it started raining. Well, it is now Monday morning and the rain is just barely beginning to let up. I had a flight that was supposed to leave Dumaguete bound for Manila on Saturday morning, but it got canceled. I missed a fireside Saturday night and I finally left for Manila on Sunday afternoon. It turns out they canceled church in Manila on Sunday and canceled the fireside we were supposed to have on Sunday night. There's been lots of flooding and as you probably have seen on the news, there was a ferry boat with like 700 passengers aboard that capsized and so far they've only rescued like 30 of them. Crazy times out here. Very crazy times. But I did want you all to know that I'm okay. I don't have any firesides tonight and I'm in Manila. I'm going to the American Memorial Cemetery right now and I'm hoping to make it to the temple tomorrow morning. I love you all!

-KP

No comments: