Sunday, September 9, 2007

Hello from South Africa

Wow, we are far away from you! Let me say after a 15 hour plane ride...where I got sick...and some dude stole my Dramamine I was glad to land in South Africa. There was some miscommunication with our driver and he left with only 2 from our group of 9. So we waited for a few hours in the airport and finally a driver arrived to take us away to our hotel. On our drive over we say the living conditions of some of the people and he warned us not to go out at night...noted...we have not! This country just ended racial segregation and apartheid in 1990...so I would say they are where our country was in about 1950 as far as racism. It is very interesting...That night we went to one of our hosts homes and it was very large and beautiful with waterfalls and outdoor guest patio and very finely decorated. All of the women there laughed at us because at home we do our own dishes and house cleaning...no they said that is what the black people are for. Hello. It has made for some interesting conversations I will say that for sure! But apart from the huge wake up call on how strong of a divide there is over white/black and colored...yes that is a different race here...not black but colored they are called, we have had a good time to.

We met up with 7 other teachers from the states who we will be traveling with for the rest of the trip. They are all fantastic people and I would say I have made some new friends with people that are my competitors. How great is that:) So far, I don't have any wild lion stories or beautiful scenery, because it has been all work since we got here. The last two day I have been teaching scrapbookers all day. I had classes up to 190 people...that is A LoT! They love coming to the event though and are eager to tell us about their country and how beautiful it is and they have been very friendly to us apart from their generally negative opinion of Americans. Apparently we are all ignorant and do not know our foot from our hand...But it is funny to hear the stereotypes they have placed on Americans and funny to hear them talk about us. But they still love the class, so that is the good news:)

We are now done with the work part of our trip and travel tomorrow morning to 'The Busch' We will stay in a wild game park for 3 days then fly to Cape town to visit the famous sites their and shop at the local shops. SO work is finally over and the fun can begin...well more fun...because we have had so many experiences already!!!

I will say this...I am glad to live in America, we have so many opportunities that is just not common in other parts of the world. Next time I post, I'll include photos, but so far...there is just pictures of me and a bunch of scrapbookers...an believe you me...they look the same as in any other venue I have taught at!

No comments: